- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 227 g (8 oz) white button mushrooms, halved
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 60 ml (¼ cup) butter, softened
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 large beef striploin steaks, about 4 cm (1 ½ inch) thick
- Salt and pepper
- Place rack on highest position in oven. Preheat the oven on broil.
- On half of baking sheet, combine onion and mushrooms with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix butter and shallot. Spread half of butter mixture on meat. Season with salt and pepper. Without completely removing the baking sheet from the oven, place meat on the sheet beside the mushroom mix. Grill for about 10 minutes or until desired doneness. Stir mushroom mixture a few times during cooking. Set aside meat in a plate and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Slice meat. Serve and dot with remaining butter. Serve with mushroom mixture and a tossed green salad.
Note: Striploin is perfect for this type of cooking. The baking sheet must be very hot to sear meat. This is why we cook the vegetables first.